Friday, September 2, 2011

The 'Oooh Shiny!' Syndrome

I feel...compelled to write about something completely frivolous today. It's probably because of the arrival of a certain something from Fed-Ex yesterday. Backstory:

When my husband and I got married, I had just a single band. He claims that he wanted something that I couldn't poke my eye out with, telling the salesperson at Kay's that I would 'be the one person in the world to find a short tree in the desert and trip over it'. Hmph. I fully disagree with that, and secretly think it's because he didn't want to pick anything out, and a band was the most simple thing to get. Not to mention the fact that we were engaged for two months, with Mike asking me to marry him from 1,000 miles away, and only getting home two days before the wedding.

I had just the band for a few weeks, until the constant "Oh, you're engaged!" got to me. Seriously. I can't tell you how many times I had to explain that I was married. So I broke down and bought an inexpensive stacking band from Kohl's. It is pretty, with a few diamonds in it, nothing special. I wore that for almost a year before I started having problems with it. For some reason, I began to get little fluid-filled bumps on the skin under the ring. They went away when I wore only my wedding ring. One day, I got tired of it, and switched to the claddagh ring that my very good friend Cassie bought for me. She and my other BFF, Kayla, and I all have matching ones to symbolize our friendship. I wore that for a while, until the sterling silver plating started chipping off.

And on to the Now:

So, I have been wanting another ring. Something more...traditional. I feel that it's silly of me, since the ring that I wanted would be considered the "engagement" part of the wedding set, and I am definitely not engaged anymore. But I still wanted one. I blame this on the "Oooh Shiny!' syndrome. Basically, I love all things that are sparkly and shiny. Enough that I routinely get distracted from whatever it is I was doing or saying because I see something bright and sparkly and shiny.

So I found a ring, despite feeling silly about it. The reasons why I love it:

1. It's definitely very sparkly.
2. It's the exact style I always liked.

The reasons why I think Mike likes it:
1. It makes me happy. (Or so I think...haha!)
2. It was less than $200.

Instead of diamonds, this ring is made of white sapphires...lab created ones. It's still white gold, which I love, but the sapphires make a beautiful ring. I am also happy about the fact that I know, beyond a doubt, that these are NOT blood conflict diamonds.

Here it is! 
There really is no point to this story. It's just something I am currently excited about...and I'm not even sure why. I feel slightly guilty, like the fact that I bought another ring will hurt Mike's feelings. He reassured me that that isn't the case, but still. I still absolutely LOVE my wedding band. He picked it out for me, and put it on my finger on our wedding day. It's a symbol, one that I wear every day, of the commitments that we made. I could never give that up.

So, really, is there something wrong with wanting a little bit of sparkle?

No comments:

Post a Comment