Thursday, August 4, 2011

When it rains...boy, does it POUR

August is already proving to be a pain in my ass.

Even though I was in Michigan when this heat wave first started, I know that it barreled in with a chip on it's shoulder. Correct me if I'm wrong, but today was the 36th straight day of 100+ temps in Oklahoma. Okies are NOT happy campers right now. I don't like it, either, and I like it even less when I received our utility bill.

The utilities are set up fairly nicely here. Instead of the multiple different companies that Michigan is used to, the city I live in set it up differently. Everything but gas and phone/internet/cable is through the City. Gas is another company, and then whatever electives you want to pay for. I knew that the utilities were going to be higher than usual, since the heat wave has the air running constantly (I have it set at 80, and it still runs a lot). I wasn't prepared for a $146 WATER BILL. Um, what?

Breaking it down: The bill date is for 6/21/11 to 7/20/11. I was in Michigan from 6/8/11 to 7/20/11. The roomie was also in Tulsa and then Michigan from 6/30/11 to 7/20/11. SO HOW IS OUR BILL SO FREAKING HIGH? The only person to come over was a friend, who grabbed our mail and checked on our stuff every few days. She maybe kept stuff in the fridge. But that was it. So I took my unhappy little bottom to the City building to talk to someone that might be able to help. All they were able to tell me at this point is that they would send someone out here to recheck my meter.

So, since I'm now panicking because I can't afford this water bill, I decide to talk to the neighbors that share this duplex. Funny story; they have three children and two adults that live there. Granted, the kids were gone with relatives during that time, but both adults were home during that time period. Their bill was only $40.

Something's fishy. I should be hearing back from the City tomorrow. More than likely, it's going to be something wrong in this house. Which means on Monday, I need to line my proof up and talk to my landlord. I am NOT paying for a water bill that high if something is wrong in this house. Unacceptable.

So that was my day. I'm not looking forward to Monday, since I have a counselor meeting, a doctor's appointment, and apparently landlords to talk to. Bleh.

Wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment