Sunday, January 23, 2011

Yoga, anyone...?

Today marks the end of my first week of 'Exercise Mania', and the beginning of my second week as a wanna-be gonna-be runner. The current training plan I'm on only calls for running three days a week-Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. However, this current plan leaves me with four-count them, FOUR!- days of absolutely nothing, nada, zilch. Sundays I have already designated as my 'work-out day off' (and also my around the house chore day...sigh). So that leaves Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday with time slots to fill.

I settled on yoga, mainly because this seems like a good way to stretch out my muscles and just over-all tone my body. I don't really want to look like I'm the female Arnold (read: giant bodybuilder!), so gentle toning seems to be the way to go.

I'm also shamed into wanting to become more flexible just by the fact that my very active 60-odd year old grandparents are more flexible that I am. Watching my grandfather bend over and plop his hands flat on the ground without effort whatsoever was not the best confidence builder ever.

Eventually, I'll probably work up to three days a week of yoga and other random activities, and then four days of running, so Sundays won't be a day of rest. Right now, though, I don't think my body can physically handle it, between both being out of shape and my asthma. I also know that if I push too hard, and hurt myself, I won't finish this. I can't fail again. I refuse.

So...now that I've settled on yoga, I needed to go about finding some routines. This is where my BFF, my lovely little HTC Hero Android phone, comes into play.

I love my phone. It is my life. Just making this nice and clear for everyone. Not only does it let me keep in touch with everyone back home (Helllloo, facebook, texting, email alerts...oh, smartphone of mine, you are my Hero!), but it allows me to download frivolous games, and amazing applications. One of the best ones I have is called MyFitnessPal. It tracks your weight, caloric intake, exercise, etc. It showed me how ridiculous my eating habits were, and puts things into perspective. Also, me being the cheapo I am, it's FREE!

Next best app: Pocket yoga. This one was not free, I had to shell out $2.99 of my precious earnings, but I figure that beat the $20 it would be to buy some videos. It goes through a whole routine with you, with different levels of difficulty (extra easy?), and I figure once I learn the routines, I can also supplement them with other poses (culled from the FREE yoga apps, of course!). Long story short, I'm looking forward to being a human pretzel in the comfort of my own home.

AND NOW (you know you're hearing the drum roll in your head-admit it).... my week end results:

I'm still weighing in at just under 165. My weight is fluctuating less, and I'm finally under the 171 for good, I think. That was a dark, dark day for me.

I feel physically lighter. I don't know if that's possible with only a few pounds difference, but I just feel like my stomach isn't quite as obvious. Maybe I'm shedding water weight? Hrmmmm....

I'm not (very) sore in the mornings anymore. The first few days, I had slight problems walking because my calves hurt so badly. Now, it's not so much. I have the feeling that the soreness will come back this week, though...hah!

I HAVEN'T HAD A SINGLE ASTHMA ATTACK IN A WEEK! This is probably my single, best achievement that I can claim. Not only does this include during my workouts, but also every other single second of every day. For a while there, I was waking up most mornings needing my inhaler. This has stopped, and I am so very, very grateful for it.

Overall, I think I had a fairly good week. I'm on track with my eating habits, and my fitness goals. This week starts my two minutes of running/jogging, and three minutes of walking.

I can feel my calves whimper already.

No comments:

Post a Comment