Saturday, January 22, 2011

Hello, Asthma. You've been particularly viscous lately...

I'm Auna. I'm soon to be (eeek!) 25 years old, and I have asthma (in case you couldn't tell). I'm also overweight, out of shape, technically pre-diabetic (although that's a whole other story) and will be having plenty of time to contemplate these things as my husband, Michael, will be deploying to another country for a year or so soon. Now, Mike doesn't ask a whole lot of me, but one of the things he asked is that when we go on vacation next year, is that I have a "bikini body" by the time he gets back. Well, crap. I suppose that I could get out of it (hey, I have asthma...exercising is tough for me!)...however, I'm fairly certain that frolicking on the beach is a lot more fun in a bikini.

Okay, I promise, there are other reasons for me to get into shape. But that one is certainly the most fun excuse.

So, now I have the motivation (such as it is...). But where is that going to lead me? I've had problems breathing for....forever. I remember being a kid and watching my cousins and uncles play football, and I couldn't, because I couldn't breathe. Gym class was a nightmare. Reading took place of any exercise, and so did snacking, and now, here I am.

I was diagnosed with asthma when I was fourteen. Apparently I have a particularly harsh breathing pattern when I have an attack; my shoulders heave, my wheezing is horrendous, and I struggle so much that I've been known to bruise the muscles around my ribs and chest, so that they hurt for a few days after the attack. Thankfully, I have never completely stopped breathing. I just have a really tough time. The title of this blog is literally what an attack feels like...running for miles and trying to suck air in through this tiny little tube, while your heart frantically tries to pump blood that doesn't, can't, have enough oxygen.

I was told I have allergy and exercise induced asthma. Now, not only couldn't I go out and run around like most kids, I also have to stay indoors when it was gorgeous out because just sneezing could cause an attack. Oh, joy! Not to mention that this was before Advair and Singulair were mainstream. I just had to deal and hope that an attack wasn't around the corner.

Oh, and gym teachers REALLY don't like it when you have asthma...especially when you have a mother that will write a note to excuse you from participating whenever you have an attack, and they completely disregard it. Then you have said mother, with all her fury, descending on the school principal, and in general making the gym teacher's life miserable. Actually, that was one of my fondest memories...making my hated gym teacher even more pissed off.

Asthma (and perhaps my own duck-and-hide personality) conspired to bring me here. I'm 5'1 and over 160 pounds. I hate clothes shopping, looking in mirrors, and the like. But what I hate even more is needing my inhaler in the middle of the night because I wake up and can't breathe. Or when a group of friends wants to play football, and I'm out of the game after two rounds.

I think what really started me on this path is that I was finally able to see the doctor, and due to several problems that I have (pertaining to weight and what men like to call 'female problems'), I was started on a medication to control my blood sugar. Now, the doc never actually called me pre-diabetic; however, the research that I have done on my condition pretty much tells me that if I keep going the way I am, my pancreas will give out one day. I hate needles (despite the few tattoos that I have...), and I just don't want to be a diabetic, and risk renal failure and everything that comes with the condition. I already have one chronic disease that controls my life...why add another?

So, the Goal. Start eating healthy (this includes not eating junk food, fast food, etc...grumble, grumble). Cut out all soda, drink more water. Make sure I take all my medication. And, become a runner.

I'm following a step by step plan on the running. Right now, it's 1 minute jogging, followed by 4 minutes of walking. Next week will be two minutes running, three walking, and the week after three minutes running, two walking. The great news? I finished week one, and haven't had a single attack...not even at night. I'm fairly stoked here. Next week will also add in some yoga exercises to help stretch out the muscles, and make sure I'm not on the treadmill every day.

I'm also only making goals one month at a time. I've tried longer term goals than that, but they don't work. I think I'm too impatient, and too intimidated. So my goals are now more reasonable, with a better rate, I think. Hopefully I keep on track.

Whew. This was a long one, and I still feel like I didn't even begin to cover what this is to me. I guess this is only the beginning. I started this mainly to help me stay on track, but I'm probably going to be mixing pieces of my life in here randomly to keep my sanity (what little I have left) while Mike is gone, so beware!

I'm Auna. I'm asthmatic, overweight, pre-diabetic, an Army wife, Staples employee, friend, daughter, sister, granddaughter, and cousin. And I'm through with being the first three.

No comments:

Post a Comment